In response to the developing situation around the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) Whittier College has gone remote for the remainder of the semester. At Broadoaks, we have decided to take the precautionary measure to remain closed after spring break from March 23 – April 3, 2020. It is possible that the closure period may be extended – please be prepared. This decision will be made in coordination with Whittier College administration, Community Care Licensing, and local and state public health officials. In addition, we are monitoring how other local schools are responding. We will keep you informed. Currently there are no known cases (confirmed or suspected) of COVID-19 on the Whittier campus.
Instructional staff will return to campus after spring break to implement remote learning for our students. In-service for teachers will occur Monday, March 23 through Wednesday, March 25. We will send an email update to families by Wednesday, March 25 with details as to how children and their parents will access our remote-learning format. Our highest priority during this period is to ensure our school is prepared to maintain learning during the closure.
Parents of children in grades 3, 4, and 6 are encouraged to stop in the Broadoaks Office for access to their child’s classroom on Monday, March 16 or Tuesday, March 17 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. to gather materials needed for remote-learning assignments.
– Third graders are required to have their guided reading book for assignments.
– Fourth graders are required to have their Lit. Circle book and Social Studies textbook for assignments.
– Sixth graders are required to have their Book-Report book, Lit. Circle book, Math textbook, History textbook, and Science textbook plus their journals for each content area.
If you are not able to come during any of these times, please contact the front office to make other arrangements. If your child’s grade level was not listed, teachers will be sending needed materials digitally.
Further, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has stressed the importance of increasing social distancing to limit community transmission of COVID-19. For this reason we are cancelling the following:
– Fifth-grade Spring Event (April 3)
– Middle School C.E.L.P. fieldtrip (April 6-10)
– Third-grade Library fieldtrip (April 14)
– Middle School Math & Science Night (April 15)
– Fun Run (April 16 & 17)
– First-grade Spring Event (April 24)
– Pancake Breakfast (April 25)
– Third-grade Whittier Museum fieldtrip (April 28)
Additionally, the Getty Villa cancelled the Sixth-grade May 29 fieldtrip. We will re-evaluate in mid-April regarding other upcoming events.
During spring break there will be a thorough cleaning and disinfecting, including carpet sanitization, of all Broadoaks classrooms and offices.
These steps have not been taken lightly but in the end it was decided that the continued health of our school community needed to take priority.
Thank you for your understanding and flexibility during this time.
|Previous: Coronavirus Update||Next: Broadoaks Remote Learning Plan|